Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Mythical Gay Grants My Wishes

I have a Facebook friend who happens to be the "mythical gay" from my childhood, the very first gay person I remember hearing about in real life, back when I was being raised very conservative (mostly by my school, in those years; my mother was surprisingly non-homophobic at the time, for someone so conservative, and my dad didn't really have or express an opinion). Then, fifteen years later, the "mythical gay" happened to be in the same ex-fundamentalist Facebook group I was in, and I saw his post and introduced myself.
So the other day, "Mark" was sharing one bit of negative LGBT-related news after another. There was Franklin Graham, Georgia, North Carolina...
I then came across a more uplifting story, about two 90-year-old lesbians finally getting married, after 72 years together. It was so cute, and so happy. So Mark was one of the people I shared it with. I hoped that it would make him happy, and not feel so down.
He went crazy over the story, and I guess it really made him happy. He said he was sharing it to his own page (separate from his personal page), then he told me he was making me an administrator for the page.
"Hey, that's neat," I thought. "How nice."
Then I looked at the page. It was familiar! I had seen it before, but had never dreamed that he was the one who ran it. I believe I stumbled across it even before I met him online. I remember the rainbow-painted hands forming a heart, and the title,  "Stop Dehumanizing Gay And Transgender People."
Boy, was I on top of the world after that! I felt like I had gotten a promotion, and I hadn't even known I was applying for the job (or that the job existed).
The very first link I shared was about Jesus healing a man's gay lover, in the bible. I also shared a link to Queer Review, a website where people can rate businesses in their areas which are friendly and unfriendly to LGBT people.
Whenever I come across something inspiration or useful to LGBT people, or a bit of news, I share it, and it's such a joy to share these things and see that people like them (and hopefully are helped, encouraged, or warned by them). I sign the name "Alex" to my postings on the page, so that my more controversial views (such as that Jesus was bisexual, and that it's in the bible) don't reflect upon the whole page, or Mark.
I also plan to give links to some of my own blog posts on this page, occasionally, if they work with the apparent theme of the page, which I take to be, "Respect and dignity for LGBT people." Or, respecting oneself as as an LGBT person, and simply as a person.

For two or three days after making me an admin, Mark messaged me daily, always saying something like, "We now have almost 2,000 likes! The links you share are great! You're doing an awesome job!" That made me feel really good.
He suggested I come up to the big city (Portland, Oregon) to see him sometime in real life. When he said that, I remembered that Portland is big enough to have a Gay Pride Parade every June, and that I always wanted to go there since learning about it. I mentioned it, and he sent me many pictures of himself at Pride and promised to be my tour guide. He says it's "the happiest day of the year."

It seems that my "mythical gay" has granted wishes that I didn't even realize I had. So now I'm in charge of this semi-famous Facebook page (even with the power to ban people), and I'm going to my very first Pride parade in June! And all because two 90-year-old-lesbians decided to finally tie the knot.
I guess the moral of the story is to always share encouraging news with friends who seem down, whenever you can, and to befriend anyone from your past who does not bring up bad memories. You never know what this may lead to.

No comments:

Post a Comment