Tuesday, March 8, 2016

That's Not What He Meant! Pudge And Ronny: Chapter 20

 "I'm afraid your old things are at your dad's house," Ronny was told over the phone. "Why?"
Shit! Ronny thought. "No reason. Just...wanted some of my old stuff, that's all. Bye, Mom."
The next day, a Saturday, he handed his dad a six-pack (knowing better than to show up empty handed), and spent about an hour rummaging alone through the garage, cracking open boxes and constantly sneezing from all of the dust. Finally, he found what he was looking for. He quickly shut the box again, almost paranoid. He took the whole box, not wanting Dad to see what it was.
"Found what ya wanted?" Dad asked, his eyes glued to a football game as Ronny walked back through the house with his treasure.
"Yeah," Ronny grunted, wanting to get out of there.
"What was it, anyway?"
"Old Playboys. Don't tell Mom."
His dad chuckled. "Let me see 'em."
Ronny moved the box away protectively. "No! I mean...they're not exactly in mint condition, Dad. I don't want you to see them."
"Ha-ha! Good boy! You got a girlfriend, Ronny?"
"A few."
"That's my boy! Wanna watch?" he asked, gesturing towards the tv.
"I really have to be going. Bye, Dad."
"Sure, I understand. Get yourself some pussy for your old man, Ronny."
"Okay. Bye."

When he got home, and had locked the door, it finally felt safe enough to open the box.
He lifted the object out, running his hand over the cover. It had a border of all different colors--like a rainbow. That made him laugh.
"Kid's Study Bible," it said on the front cover.
Ronny opened it to the title page.
"Dear Ronny," was written on the bottom of the page, "I hope this brings you as much joy as it has brought me. It was through these pages that I met the great Love of my life, and I hope you will come to know the love of your life through this book. Love, your friend, Pudge."

No comments:

Post a Comment