Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Half Homo Pudge And Ronny: Chapter 23

"I--I didn't know you were coming!" Pudge said breathlessly when they were somewhat alone in the still-crowded foyer. "I don't even remember inviting you!"
"You didn't," he winked. "Thought I'd get the Acne off your back."
Pudge's heart skipped a beat in gratitude. "I forgot you used to call him that."
"And he's still painful," Ronny smiled ruefully.
In spite of himself, the corners of Pudge's mouth twinged upward.
"Ronny?" a slow, halting voice asked behind him.
Happy was beaming. "You came!" he said in surprise.
"I said I would, Happy," he nodded, smiling.
"You invited him?" Pudge asked.
Happy nodded, still grinning.
"He invited me, also, just like you did. I promised him I'd sit in on his Sunday School class. I hope you don't mind, Pudge," Ronny explained.
"Oh. Sure. No, not at all. I don't mind," Pudge said lightly, trying to hide his disappointment.
"Hello, boys, who's your friend?" Pastor Alltruth came up, extending a hand to Ronny.
"This is Ronny," Happy said slowly. "I invited him."
"Pudge did, too," Ronny said quickly, shaking the pastor's hand. "Ronny Vain."
"Oh, yes, I've heard of you. Ace told me all about you. I think I may have even met you once or twice. We've been praying for you," he said, as if he was doing Ronny a favor. "I hope you like the message I'm about to preach today," he smiled, condescendingly.
"Actually, Happy wanted me to sit in on his Sunday School class and watch him teach it. I really had my heart set on that."
"Well, I don't know. It is for children..." Alltruth started to object.
"Don't worry, I'm very immature. 'Faith like a little child,' they said. I'll just sit in the corner and won't interrupt anything. I really did want to see my good friend Happy teach the class."
"Well, teaching is more of Becky's department..."
"I help teach too, Pastor," Happy put in.
"I say we let him sit in--we're a welcoming church, after all," another voice said, and a young black man extended his hand to Ronny. "They call me Michael. And you are...?"
"Ronny. Nice to meet you."
"Welcome to our church, Ronny."
Pastor Alltruth looked on in obvious distaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment