Saturday, April 30, 2016

LGBT: Bigots Hate Onions

I was reading an article (I can't remember where) about the healing properties of herbs, recently, and the entry for onions (which I absolutely love, but only if the spiciness is cooked out) mentioned that they were sometimes used for "magical protection" from enemies.
I laughed aloud, thinking of the greatest "enemy" in my life, my Uncle 'Phobe. Onions are probably the only thing, other than maybe the Chicago Cubs (the "scumbags," I don't know why), that he hates even more than (his own) homosexuality! They would certainly protect me from him!
Ever since I was very small, I have heard the words, "I hate onions!" or "I can't believe they put onions in this! I told them not to!" literally every time I have been at a restaurant with him or one of my aunts. Every. Single. Time.
I honestly think that he and my aunt, his sister, are allergic to onions. But that doesn't excuse the way they act about them. They live in a pro-onion world, but are not understanding about it at all. The amount of disgust and vehemence they save for onions, and any mention of onions, is truly ugly. They consider it a great personal insult if the waiter forgets that they said, "No onions. I can't stand them!" in a busy, noisy restaurant while pressed for time. Uncle 'Phobe says that he can taste the onions in the pizza crust even after picking them out (and he makes sure you know what he thinks about that!).

My aunt actually sends food back, if it has onions in it, in a quite blunt way. I don't like eating with her, because I'm afraid they will think I am like her, and I don't want my food spit in. She once said, "No guacamole. It often has onions, and I hate onions. I can't stand them at all," rather quietly, in a noisy restaurant, while the waiter was busy and pressed for time. He obviously heard "No guacamole," while writing down her order, and got that right, but then she got offended when the food had onions, and sent it back.
I don't know where she stands on LGBT issues. She has been homophobic before, but more recently made rather neutral comments about my kind gay Christian friend ("I don't care if he's gay."), so I don't know. It might be different if she finds out that someone in her own family (me) is gay (or in my case, bisexual but "mostly" lesbian).

And ironically, my grandparents' house, the place where my Uncle 'Phobe lives, and where most family gatherings take place, is abundantly blessed with wild onions, growing all over the place! So I have a wonderful opportunity here.
I love digging them up, and I wonder if I can make a nice necklace out of them, daisy-chain style. Even if onions are not "magical," they would certainly act as a subconscious repellent, if those two saw me wearing onions, or subconsciously smelled it on my skin. They would not want to mess with me, probably even if I disagreed with them. I guess this herb really does provide protection!
And my uncle and my aunt are the two people in my family that I am most afraid of being both homophobic, and very angry. I have always been afraid of their anger, especially his, which almost got violent once, when I was small and called him the devil for physically picking on me.

What is also interesting, at least to me, is that my grandfather ("Papa"), loves to eat raw onions. I remember once I hugged him, when saying goodbye, and his breath stank. I turned my head away. He laughed and said, "You smell my onion?" and I laughed too.
And he is the one that I most fear grieving, and worrying, if I end up coming out in the course of disagreeing with someone. I can't live my life for him, or hide my wonderful, beautiful rainbow light under a bushel--but I hope if this happens, I have the chance to address any concerns he has and reassure him, somehow. And I also hope that he isn't "put off" by me, after seeing me in a certain (straight) light for so long.
Hopefully, the onion will repel whom it's supposed to--and make me palatable to the person or people it's supposed to.

I also am very fond of onions, particularly tiny wild onions, because of a fond memory of my late "heart-cat," Feezl. She was a very active cat, and she once found a dried wild onion, from my grandparent's house, that I had dropped on the floor. She started playing with it, attacking it as if it was a feather. Then she realized that I was sitting on my bed, and jumped up to come see me. I started petting her, then started laughing, because she had my Papa's onion breath! It was truly awful, and that was what made it so endearing. I love onions even more now.
I once "prayed" to Feezl, asking her to come home, when she was missing. The next day another cat, who had been missing for six days, returned, to our great surprise. She did not come back, herself; perhaps because she was dead. But it was as if she sent Sebastian home, even if she couldn't come back herself. Ever since then, I have been so grateful to her, and I have the feeling that she is watching out for me. She cared about me in life, a great deal, and it seems that that has not changed. Perhaps I can wear wild onions for my patron Saint, and she will look out for me as much as she can.

I went to a metaphysical bookstore, last week, with my mother, because I wanted to look at their herbs. I also bought some small, beautiful amethysts that I absolutely fell in love with. They are also my birthstone.
"I don't think they're magic," I remarked to my mom as we left, "but I love them so much!"
"If they make you happy, aren't they magic?" she asked.
I had never thought of it that way! If something makes me happy, or it has a "placebo effect," then isn't it "magic"? And if it has a placebo effect, then weren't those healing or psychological potentials within me all along? Perhaps some people are right, when they say that certain things "channel one's energy," or have energy, themselves.
Onions mean so much to me, in so many ways. If any herb is magical, for me, then this is it. With the onions, I can banish the bigots and bring on the blessings--and then eat them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment