Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Bisexuality: Why The "Percentage Question" Doesn't Bother Me

I am fascinated by LGBT experiences, and one thing I have repeatedly come across, which I thought was very strange, was the writings and views of other bisexuals, who said that they were hurt when people asked them, "How gay are you?" or referred to them as "half-gay, half-straight," etc.
This was quite confusing to me, since one of the first things I wondered, when first finding out about my sexuality, was "how gay" and "how straight" I was. I still wonder that, sometimes.
I thought that it was simply a potentially interesting conversation: "Oh, you're bi too? That's great! What are your percentages? I'm about 80% lesbian myself..."
I have found at least one commentor online who feels the same way, too. And she was just like me: 80-20 in favor of other women.
I have also heard one person say that they are "fully gay and fully straight" at the same time, which I suppose is true for me, but I also don't mind "dividing" myself up, either. After all, if one is half black and half white, for example, it still adds up to a whole person, however one's race is divided.
 
Some people think that this idea of percentages means that one only loves their boyfriend or girlfriend half as much (or whatever percentage) as a gay or straight person. But that's nonsense. To me, it means that, for someone who is "50-50," roughly half of the people they are attracted to are the opposite sex, and half are the same sex. Or, if you prefer, half of the people they like are of a gender expression different than them, and half are of the same type of gender expression.
Some people also say that this excludes trans and non-binary people from the equation. I disagree. I would date a trans person just as easily as I would date a cisgender person. It simply depends upon the person, their character, and whether they are pleasant to be around. Most people aren't, so I don't date most people. :)
I may change my mind on this if I get some real-world experience, but I can't imagine genitals mattering that much to me, so why would I care if the person I liked was trans or cis? Trans people may think of themselves in different categories than cis people--but for my purposes here, they simply go in the same categories cisgender people go in: male and female, depending on what they think of themselves as. For intersex people, it would be the same thing.
As for non-binary people, some of them have gender expressions that are more masculine/boyish, and some have gender expressions that are more "femme." So our theoretical "half-and-half" bisexual person would still be possibly attracted to them. They would either be of the 50% of "attractive" people who fit into the feminine category, or of the 50% of "attractive" people fitting into the masculine category. Or both categories at different times. Or, they would be rather gender-neutral, in which case they would fit into both categories, since they have typical characteristics of both sexes.
Remember, these categories are how our theoretical bisexual person would see people they are attracted to, not necessarily how these people would see themselves--since we all have different views of what we consider feminine and masculine, and those might affect whether we find others attractive or not.
I personally have never met a non-binary person I have been attracted to (or, I think, who has ever been attracted to me), though I'm not ruling out the possibility. But since they're relatively rare, it probably won't happen.

My personal statistics, as of this writing (it may change, as it has already "changed" over the last two years that I've known I was bisexual), are roughly 80% in favor of other girls, and 20% in favor of guys (by my rough estimate).
I came to this conclusion because I saw a lesbian on Youtube (Arielle Scarcella) say that most bisexuals tend to be 60-40 in favor of the opposite sex. I thought that the opposite was true for me; then I realized it was more, so I thought of 70-30 in favor of other girls. Then I realized that that was not accurate, either, so it became 80-20. I wondered if it was 90-10, but that seemed like too much. So I am four-fifths gay, and one-fifth straight. At this point in my life.
This is just a rough estimate of the people I find attractive and their respective sexes. Someday I may do a more scientific method, with an actual count (like when I tallied up all my favorite Marvel and DC characters, and there were more favorite DC characters, so I liked DC better), but I am comfortable with that number, for now. I believe it is mostly accurate.
It could also apply to how likely I think I am to find a girlfriend or boyfriend. Since thinking about this over the past few months, I see myself more with another girl than with a guy.
Funnily enough, my mom said the exact same thing to me, the other day. Out of the blue, as we were talking, she said, "I can just see you more with a woman, than with a man." I thought that was so interesting and amusing that she came to the same conclusion as me, since we are very close. Then she added, "Because men are dicks!" :)
Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe I would date a guy, if it was the right (very nice, non-dickish) guy, but that is a big maybe. The "maybe" is there, though, so I have to acknowledge it, though it has been hard to find guys that are "my type," whatever that is. Most people, in general, I am simply not attracted to, and of those that I am attracted to, it seems that much fewer are men.

If you want to find out your own "numbers," one thing that helps is to disregard all forms of erotica when "counting."
I once saw a fascinating comment online by someone who was a lesbian, but absolutely adored "yaoi" fan fiction. In other words, she loved reading stories where two male characters fell in love and made love, but would never consider getting involved romantically with a man, herself, in her own life.
This made so much sense to me, since I love to write about male-male couples (especially Buzz and Woody) and draw charcoal nudes of the male body--but the more I do that, it seems, the more I find myself thinking of women (though not necessarily in a sexual way), and wondering what it would be like to have a girlfriend.
It's as if my artist or writer side is drawn aesthetically to one sex, but the rest of me wants to balance it out by making me think warmly of women. My inner self wants balance in my life.
It could also be the fact that, though I love all couples, I think straight couples look and seem so strange, since they're not even matching. And it's such a turn-off, in a few different ways. It's just more aesthetically pleasing to me if couples are matching--even if I'm in the couple! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment