Wednesday, September 2, 2015

"I'll Pray For You"

The words "I'll pray for you" can either communicate good intentions and caring on the part of the person saying it, or judgment and condescension. I've never actually heard the phrase, "I'll pray for you" said in a condescending way to me, or in an argument, yet, but others certainly have, and I might just yet, so I came up with a short list of possible responses.

Here are some of my suggestions (I haven't had a chance to test any of them yet, so I am not sure how people will react, but if you don't care how people react, feel free to use them):

"Do it right now! I dare you!" You can even take this one step further, if they do decide to take your dare, by demanding that they kneel out of "respect for God." They will probably feel silly, praying for you right then and there, or they may pray AT you, not TO God, and thus look silly and angry. If the Christian is clever, though, they may try to drive the demons out of you.

"That sounds passive-aggressive." This is probably the one that I would be most likely use. I prefer to tell people exactly what I think the problem is, even if they deny it. If they do deny it, you can ask them why they would tell you that instead of just praying for you.

"No, you won't! You're lying!" This is one to use if you just want to be petulant (and I believe there are times to be simply petulant). This could also lead into "Do it right now..."

"You don't have to pray for my salvation; I've prayed for my own many times, and meant it." This one really only works when said by ex-Christians or ex-theists, obviously. But for ex-theists, it will highlight the fact that you were once sincere. It would probably work best if said to someone who tried to listen to you at least a little bit.

"I'd rather you pray for abused children." They are bigger problems in the world than unbelief.

"While you're at it, pray for yourself, too." If they ask you to elaborate, you can then draw attention to the fact that they are just assuming that you are mistaken and they are not, and that they are praying for you to find truth, but not for themselves, and that that is rather arrogant or not equal.


What would you suggest in how to respond to this phrase, whether it is said in a condescending or a caring way?

No comments:

Post a Comment