Thursday, July 2, 2015

Harrison's Epic Facebook Knockout For Equality!

 A few days ago, a friend of mine, who reminds me of my little brother and who is much like a son to me (though he is only three years younger), put a (usually) sweet but ignorant friend in her place. I am a very proud mama, in both senses of the word, and I just had to brag on my boy. I hope he doesn't find this and get mad at me...

Note: All posts are copied-and-pasted, so that the original words have been preserved.

The day before, a mutual friend, who had been in several plays with Harrison, and who was in some classes with me, threw a kind of temper tantrum over people not accepting her non-acceptance of them:

"Just had to say something. ACCEPTANCE NEEDS TO GO BOTH WAYS!! CAN'T EVERYONE JUST GET ALONG! I'm a Christian but I also have homosexual friends and I love them! I may not think that lifestyle is right, but I'm not living it! In the same way if you don't agree with a religious view, you dont have to be that religion! I think everything can go two ways. NO PERSON should be judged slandered, or hated by another or put into a sterotype. Not all Christians feel the same, and disagreement should not be hate. I think that a Christian or any religious person has a right to not believe in something and thier reasons and faith, if followed in a respectful way, should be accepted and respected just as much as anything else would want acceptance! Faith is very important and it really bothers me how people try and quote the bible and use it against people! Respect needs to go both ways!"

I had thought that this girl was so sweet--she loved goats, after all, just like me! But this...this was not sweet--not at all. And instead of explaining why, I'll let Harrison do it, as the next day he posted this, apparently to no one in particular:
 
 "I understand there are a good many opinions running around out there since the supreme court ruling. Instead of explaining biblical history and getting into some contrived debate over whether or not I should be treated like a human because I like people with the same genitals as mine, I am going to do something hard and ask that anyone who disagrees with the way I am in any way not be a part of my life.
I would personally not like to hear from someone who I thought loved me that they disagreed with my "lifestyle".
It is no such thing.
To disagree with it, me being, to make things simple, gay, on whatever basis, is to disagree with me as a person because my sexuality is intrinsic to me as the color of ones skin or the expressed gender of ones body.
If you can not see how disagreeing with one being black or female is fundamentally messed up, on whatever basis, I ask doubly that you not be a part of my life.
I will never need, nor will I ever deserve, people who regard me in this way in my life.
As a closing, I would like to thank those who fought for me and those who stand with me, ideologically or as companions on this sometimes harsh path we walk. Your strength gives me strength.
If you have anything to say regarding this post, instead of leaving a comment, please message me privately."


"EXACTLY! <3" I replied. He liked my comment. I don't know if he received any private messages over this or not.

That night, somebody else, whom I suspect is or was Harrison's boyfriend, from what I've seen, posted this:

 "How is it that for the past 5 days or so, it's all about gay marriage. Look I'm glad that the gays can marry and everything. But posting all this bullshit drama over that gays shouldn't be married is really fuckin stupid. If somebody loves someone very dearly, then it's their business. I mean seriously no one gives a fuck about your opinions, so mind your own damn business. Sorry for the rant, I hope you all have a great Fourth of July weekend ‪#‎LoveWins‬"

 I left a comment to let him know I agreed:

 "Yeah, people keep saying, "God's going to punish us now," and I keep saying, "Is that why all the people in Canada are dead?"

"Ha ha lol," he replied.

I wanted to try to show our evangelical friend (still our friend, if Harrison's Facebook page can be believed, as of this writing) another perspective, so I posted this, again, without singling her or anybody else out, as that seemed to be the rules of this game: 

"If this doesn't apply to you, it doesn't apply to you:
If you think someone's sexuality is a choice, then you're not listening to the many thousands, if not millions, of stories out there in which it is NOT a choice. If you're not listening to others, then how can you expect people to listen to you?
If it's a choice to you, then congratulations--you're bi- or pansexual. You're more than welcome in the LGBTQ community, as far as I'm concerned, as long as you play nice. Just because it's a choice to you, doesn't mean it's a choice for others.
Because it's not a choice, it's not a "lifestyle." The word "gay" does not mean the same thing, to put it bluntly, as "gay fucker."
The bible itself unequivocally states that Jesus himself was bisexual, since he was "tempted in every way just as we are, but without sin." If you think that having gay sex is a sin, then Jesus was tempted to do it, and therefore was partially gay. So if it's a "lifestyle," then you might want to talk to your savior about his sinful "lifestyle." He did party a lot, with the sinners...
And if you think that just being attracted to someone of the same sex is a sin, then Jesus sinned.

Now let's explore the implications of the belief that all gay sex is a sin:
In this belief system (which not all Christians and theists subscribe to), God does not treat his children equally. Straight people have ALWAYS had the option of marriage, family, sex, love, companionship, etc, etc, etc, and always will. While gay people have NEVER had that option, and never will, in this paradigm.
Even if it is a "choice," how do you explain the millions of people who have tried to change, but can't? And if you really are interested in listening to others, then you will know that it is not a choice.
So if all gay sex is a sin, then gay people have to choose between a lifetime of loneliness, and an eternity in hell. How is that fair? Especially when you consider that an all-powerful god made or allowed them to be that way.
I think that if straight, anti-gay theists were forced to choose either complete celibacy and singleness (for their entire lifetime) or hell, or all their lives were told that their love was unnatural and an abomination and God hates it, not to mention were the victims of hate crimes, had to hide who they were from their families, etc, etc, etc, then they might be more inclined to show grace and understanding to the LGBTQ community, and actually want them--us--to have legal rights. They might also have more sense when it comes to love and loving behavior, especially as it pertains to how a loving god would act."


I do not know if any of the three previous people named have seen this, so far, and I have not seen any more opinions on the subject from any of them. Though my post was liked by my best friend from my conservative Christian school, ironically enough...

What do you think of this? Leave a comment below, or send me an email at: atheistjourneysblog@gmail.com
Follow or tweet me here: https://twitter.com/atheistjourneys
I also have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atheist-Journeys/1543588489197291?

No comments:

Post a Comment