Wednesday, July 9, 2014

How To Stay Afloat, Part 2 of 3

There was a time when my family was near "drowning" financially, and this is what I have learned from that time and since. Such circumstances can easily shatter one's faith, and one may sink into despair if that faith is not replaced by action. Here is what to do if prayer doesn't work.

Because I like to keep my articles small and easy to read, this is part two of a series of three articles, with three suggestions each. Please see my previous article, How To Stay Afloat, Part 1 of 3.


4. Buy one "big" thing instead of five little things. In other words, don't try to substitute some cheap imitation for what you really want; it will end up making you miserable and costing you more money in the long run. If you want something nice to put in your home, don't console yourself at the dollar store. Go without shopping for a while, and put the savings towards something that will make you really happy. If you don't know what that something is, congratulations! That's actually a good thing. That means that you will have more time to save for what you really want, and you will know it when the time comes...if you can learn to say no to the less important items.

5. Make a list of everything you could possibly want, and number each item according to importance. You may be able to afford it, after all. This will protect you from buying things that are "just there" at the moment. If you combine this step with listing and looking over your expenses, you may find that the little things can be given up in order to afford what really makes you happy.
And if you can afford it at the moment--without causing yourself or your family hardship--please don't deny yourself. You will be miserable and probably surrounded with "little" things you only half like.
Note also that your true wants may surprise you. I have found that one of the greatest joys that money can buy is the sense of taking good care of my animals. If I spend less on my own pleasures, I can afford more worm medicine, flea treatments, tuna, saving for vet appointments, etc. This makes me feel much better than one more thing or piece of clothing ever would. If I had children, I imagine I would feel the same way towards them. If I had no children or pets, I might try buying food or supplies for an animal or homeless shelter.

6. Apply the rule of "immediate consumption only." This is what finally saved me from the cycle of buying things because I was afraid I could not later. If I couldn't see myself using, enjoying or wearing it right away, I passed it up. This will also protect you from "bargains" you don't need.

Please see the previous post, Part One, if you haven't already, and stay tuned for Part Three.

What do you think of this? Leave a comment below, or send me an email at: atheistjourneysblog@gmail.com
Follow or tweet me here: https://twitter.com/atheistjourneys

No comments:

Post a Comment