Wednesday, July 9, 2014

How To Stay Afloat, Part 1 of 3

 At first glance it might seem that I'm straying a bit off topic, but I don't believe that to be the case at all. My atheism affects and is affected by every other part of my life, and I know that I can't be the only one for whom this is true. I share what I have learned because the world needs happy, healthy atheists.

There was a time years ago that my family was in a bit of financial trouble. During this time, I overheard my mother say to my father, "We are drowning." I will never forget the helplessness I felt at that time, and that was the worst thing about it. The sense of helplessness, or desperation, I have since learned is the real enemy at times like this. That is why these principles that I have learned have been so important to getting out of that desperate place, both financially and emotionally. Here is how to get yourself unstuck, and retain some of your happiness and sanity at the same time, whether you are going through hard times or not:

(Because I like to keep my articles small and easy to read, I have divided this subject into three parts, with three steps each.)

1. Pay yourself first, even if it's only a tiny amount. Even having an extra two dollars in the bank will make you feel much better, trust me. You can save a set percentage of each paycheck, garage sale, etc, or vary the amounts as you can afford it. Even a sliver of the total will make you feel better and get you in the habit. Remember that you can always take it back out if there is an emergency.

2. Adopt the attitude that "nothing is sacred." This one I got from my mother. This is the attitude that she adopted long ago, and it is the first thing she tells others to do if they ask for financial advice. What it means is, everything is available to be sacrificed to keep one's home and family intact. At one point we had no living room furniture because she had sold it to pay our bills. Sentimental value didn't matter either; the people--and pets--in our family were more important than things. I know this is also something we would have to fall back upon, if it ever came to that.
(This would also apply to receiving government or other assistance, filing for bankruptcy, etc, if one must.)

3. Don't "stock up" on pleasure. So many things that I have bought, I realize now, were bought in case I couldn't afford them later. Most of these things I don't even use, even years later. I now know that it is better to set aside a certain amount of money for things that are simply wants.
(I have also found that, when it comes to food and candy, there will come a point when you will get tired of it eventually, at least for a while. No matter how delicious it tastes now, this rule still applies. I have five boxes of peppermint taffy in my freezer, bought cheap right after Christmas last year, to prove it. I still like peppermint taffy...sometimes.)

Stay tuned for parts two and three.

What do you think of this? Leave a comment below, or send me an email at: atheistjourneysblog@gmail.com
Follow or tweet me here: https://twitter.com/atheistjourneys

No comments:

Post a Comment