Saturday, July 9, 2016

Too Much Hetero--Needs More Gay

I hate most romantic stories in tv shows and movies. Almost all of them are filler, something the writers have to resort to when they run out of ideas that are actually good (or something they do when they're too lazy to think of something better). When it's done well, romance can be an interesting part of the story. But at least nine times out of ten, it is not. My dad calls it "gratuitous romance." And I like romance, but only on the rare occasions where it's well done, and not the whole point of the show.
I resent the writers trying to manipulate me into rooting for Ross and Rachel (Friends), Eric and Donna (That 70s Show), Jim and Pam (The Office), Ron and Hermione (Harry Potter), Leonard and Penny (The Big Bang Theory), Rachel and Finn (Glee). And these are just a few examples, off the top of my head, of couples I'm supposed to root for, when I can't stand either of them (except Ron and Hermione; they're not so bad--but I hate them together).
Most fictional couples have absolutely no compatibility. Either the book or movie  simply makes them get together, or the actors do not go well together. Even Ron and Hermione feel nothing but jealousy and insecurity towards each other, not actually liking each other. They're not in love; they have fragile egos. I am halfway through the sixth book in the seven-book series, and I get the sense that they don't actually want each other; they just don't want anyone else to have each other. And there is no foreshadowing for Harry and Ginny Weasley, except that...he likes her perfume. Yeah, I'm sure that's plenty to go on! We don't even see him thinking about her, except as a Quidditch player. At least with Cho Chang, he thought about her and had a crush on her.
But the best I could possibly say about most of these couples (other the the Harry Potter characters) is, "They deserve each other," and sometimes I can't even say that, because the man is a jerk and the woman is just bland. Except in the case of Rachel and Finn (Glee), in which case, he is just bland and she is spoiled and selfish.
And have you noticed one thing that all of these different couples have in common?
That's right, everyone--they're all white.

But there's another reason I can't stand any of them. None of them are matching.
It's refreshing to see couples that are matching--boys with boys and girls with girls. Anything else just looks weird. (I have never seen any seen any non-binary characters in tv or movies, though I'm sure a handful exist. I'm not so sure if two "enbies" or N.B.'s, even exist as a couple in western media. I imagine it would neat to see that, but sadly I don't know from experience.)
I like straight people, but sometimes, I just look at a couple of them, and think, "That is so weird! They don't even match!"
Now, I'm bi, so I may not be in a matching couple someday. But that doesn't mean I want to look at other non-matching couples. Matching couples are more aesthetically pleasing.
And no, I'm not trying to make a point about people who are "okay" with us being gay (meaning they don't want to stone us to death, arrest us, or try to change us against our wills), as long as we hide our love and who we really are--when they don't have to. (This point is just a happy byproduct of what I'm talking about here.)
My main point is, that there is way too much hetero-saturation in media. I get sick of romance in general, especially straight romance. Almost all of the time, even the parties in the romance are not bisexual at all--not even one partner. It's not even mentioned. And ironically, the fictional gay couples that I have seen have seemed to actually love or even just really like each other, though a few times it has seemed as if they only liked each other's looks (like in the movie 4th Man Out, on Netflix, in which one man simply likes another man's looks and is therefore infatuated). For the most part, though, gay couples just seem more convincing. Maybe I'm just sick of so much hetero with no inclusion of LGBTQ people at all (except for when we're the butts of jokes).

Even Disney has made us the butts of jokes. A few days ago, I finally got around to watching Disney's Enchanted. It was funny, sometimes, and yet...
 The straight couples get to sing and dance and kiss and live happily ever after--even the background characters that dance with Gizelle while she sings about true love. The one apparently gay biker, who appears for five seconds to smile at the prince...his capacity to love is never even acknowledged, and we never hear from him again. He is nothing but a joke, without even a follow-up "joke" later in which he smiles at a man...and the man smiles back. Even that tiny little thing, would have satisfied me. But no, apparently, they forgot that we have the capacity for real human emotions--true love included.
Of course they didn't mean to snub us--that's not the point. You can be rude and hurtful and non-inclusive, without even meaning to be.

I avoid fictional straight romances, as much as I can. And some people would say that that means that I am being rude and hurtful and exclusionary. As if fictional characters can have their feelings hurt by my actions.
But the fact is that the most popular movies and tv shows, in general, do not feature very many gay characters, much less gay romance. And I as a consumer can seek out what I want to watch, without harming anyone. And it's not exactly easy to constantly see people who almost always are included, when you often are not.
Some people say that tv shows and movies are "catering to 10% of the population," when they include LGBTQ characters. As if that's not literally dozens of millions of people! But they also forget that these shows are not just "catering" to us, but to everyone who loves us--AND accepts us, and affirms who we know ourselves to be, and wants us to be happy. And those people are about 60% of the population, from what I've read. And that is hundreds of millions of people, in America alone.
But I don't just want gay characters and romances. I want good gay characters and romances. I stopped watching Glee in part because, although I enjoyed Kurt's (the gay boy), Santana's (the lesbian girl), and Unique's (the trans girl) coming out stories, I got tired of Kurt and Blaine having their little dramas, and Santana singing love songs to Brittany. Combine that with Rachel and Finn, who both made me gag, and not even the beautiful and hilarious Jane Lynch could keep me watching.
I have found a few great movies and such about LGBTQ people, which I will get into at another time, since I don't think I have the space here. But almost everything, as my new favorite Youtuber, Rantasmo, says, desperately "Needs More Gay."

1 comment:

  1. Used ford edge titanium: Use for your rust tips
    Used ford edge titanium: Use is titanium a metal for your rust tips - The ultimate Rust expert! snow peak titanium We have titanium daith jewelry a titanium bikes wide titanium bars variety of rust tips and features for building rust kits.

    ReplyDelete