Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Useful Bible Verses (That Atheists Have Forgotten): Part One

Everyone knows the one about eating shellfish, often used to show the hypocrisy of accepting Old Testament verses condemning homosexuality, as well the "judge not" verse in Matthew. Here also is some handy charts of biblical contradictions and cross-references. However, there are many, many more verses which atheists could use in arguments, and which I have rarely if ever seen anyone use. These are just a few:

Psalm 14:1 

I will start with one that is used against us, but can actually be turned around to weaken its own "argument." This is actually the famous "gotcha!" verse that Christians often throw at atheists in an effort to end the discussion, or at least try to use to get away with calling us names. However, their version of it is actually incomplete; the whole verse reads like this:

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no god.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good."

In other words, they take Scripture out of context--something that we are often accused of doing--in order to disobey Christ by treating us in a manner in which they do not wish to be treated. However, a cursory glance at the rest of the verse, much less the remaining seven verses of the chapter, serves to weaken their argument, and makes it clear that it is sin that is being addressed here, not unbelief (take a look at that footnote on the word "fool," in the link).
(I go into more details about this verse here.)


Proverbs 26:12

"Do you see the person wise in their own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for them."

This is another possible answer to the accusation of being a fool. Again, I talk more about this verse here, though I wanted to include it in this list for convenience.

Matthew 5:22

"But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

I'm not sure if a Christian would see an atheist as a brother or sister (though Jesus makes no distinction between believers and unbelievers), and I don't know if this commandment only applies to words said in anger (though why would it not apply at all times?), but I would say that it's not very Christlike to use Scripture to insult anyone. Jesus seems to be making that point here.

Revelation 3:15-16

"(15) I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! (16) So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (Here is the full chapter.)

Most people interpret this passage to mean that Jesus would rather a person be a "hot" Christian, "on fire" for God, or else that they lose their faith altogether. I know that if I were still compelled to be a Christian, I would be a "lukewarm" one, having many doubts but still trying to go along with my "beliefs" for the sake of fear or social harmony. So it makes me wonder: Is it not better simply to leave? Apparently my choice is between "losing my salvation" or, in some translations, having Jesus vomit me out of his mouth. Neither sounds very appealing, but this verse would be useful as a possible answer to Christians trying to threaten you with hell, or concerned for your salvation.

 Matthew 10:14

"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet."

These words were addressed to Jesus' disciples in a specific instance, however I believe that the spirit of the words still stands: if someone does not wish to listen to a salvation message, they should be left alone.

Romans 14:4 

"Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand."

This relates to believers eating food sacrificed to idols, or celebrating holidays. I believe that it could also apply to atheists, though, especially those who were once Christians or who try to keep an open mind. It is clear that believers are not to judge the salvation of others, and it at least supports the case that only God knows who is "saved" and who is not.

Matthew 7:23

 "Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

If a Christian is trying to bully me into agreeing with them, or presenting their beliefs as fact without any evidence in the attempt, I like to throw this one out, adding, "That may not be the last time you hear that!" This is, of course, not a real argument, but if debate escalates to getting ugly, this bible verse is still handy to use.

There are many more useful and interesting bible verses, and I will have at least one more post about them, when I have the time. Have I forgotten any?


What do you think of this? Leave a comment below, or send me an email at: atheistjourneysblog@gmail.com
Follow or tweet me here: https://twitter.com/atheistjourneys

No comments:

Post a Comment