Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Mommy-And-Me Sodomy

My mother and I had errands to run and goats to feed, so we climbed into our old truck for a day of pushing around awkward sixty-pound hay bales.
"We have to buy cat food first," she said. So that's just what we did.
I was idly perusing the chip aisle when I slowly became aware of the background music. There was something a little disconcerting about it...
Wait, I thought, This song sounds familiar. Could it be...?
Sure enough, there was the chorus: "Jesus Take The Wheel..."
This song has always made me laugh. My cousin used to sing it in a high-pitched falsetto whenever his dad drifted in the lane. (Even while getting the link for this article, I heard the verses for the first time: A woman hits a patch of ice, her baby in the back seat, and literally throws her hands off the steering wheel while screaming the chorus. This is the exact opposite of what you're actually supposed to do: steer into the skid, with your hands on the wheel, and chant "Hail Satan, Lord of Darkness" six times fast. There is also usually an "end" to the skid too, meaning Jesus didn't have to actually do anything to save her.)
But this time it was even funnier, because I was an atheist and I had just gotten my driver's license only a few days before, after years of not thinking myself capable of getting it.
This wasn't some Christian-charity-owned thrift shop, but a real store which I assume was playing a country music or easy listening station. Since realizing I was an atheist, seeing "God" in things seems much more frequent, and more amusing, than ever before. I think God is most likely not to exist, but occasionally I get a feeling like I saw something out of the corner of my eye, and I don't know if it's really there, or an illusion.
I cracked a smile and shook my head at thought of God nagging me. "You can't drive without Me!" I imagined him saying, "You can't drive."
"I can do a lot of things that I didn't know I could," I would lift my head and proudly say, "Things that are 'dangerous.' You have to go to your own 'death' sometimes to even live. You have to make foolish choices, do stuff you think will kill you, you have to risk terrible consequences. I'll run the risk of your hell, if it means my freedom, and I will drive wherever I please, even if I crash!"
"Foolish girl!" God thundered like a supervillain. "You will pay for your insolence! You will paaaaaaayyyyyyyy.....!"
As "God" was banished into the furthest recesses of my mind, I grinned and reached for a box of crackers.
Our next stop was getting the hay for our goats.
"Climb up there and push the bales down," my mom said, as we loaded it into the back of our truck. As I scrambled up, she gave me a push on the buttocks to help me up.
Afterwards, as we drove down the highway, she asked me to get her purse and find one of her supplements. "Can you find my 'thymus?'" she asked.
I leaned over and pointed to her sternum, where I have read all mammals have their thymuses. "It's right here," I said, helpfully and cheerfully.
"Hey! You touched my boob!" she feigned offense.
"I did not, and you touched my buttocks without even saying, 'Here's your anus,'" I tried to reason with her.
"Fine," she said, pointing to an invisible point in the air, "Here's your anus!"
"Don't sodomize me with your finger!" I shrieked. "Why do I have to say that to my own mom?"
We laughed hysterically and had the "you're sick--no, you're sick," argument that is sadly typical of our relationship.
"Want to stop at a couple of thrift shops?" she asked.
We parked the truck and walked down the street, arm in arm, enjoying each other's company.
"Do you think people think we're lesbians?" she asked contemplatively.
"I don't know." I recalled the time we actually had been mistaken for a lesbian couple. Walking out of a restaurant, holding hands, in a nearby city known to be quite liberal, a teenage boy in the parking lot had shouted, "I spy, with my little eye, someone gay! I spy, with my little eye, someone gay!"
At first I had thought he was playing some weird little game with his own boyfriend. It took us both a minute to realize that he was talking about us. My dad was even with us, though walking a few feet ahead, and he hadn't figured it out.
At that moment, years later, we were both thinking the same thing, and said it in unison:"I spy, with my little eye, someone gay!" We shared a laugh at the fond memory.
"I'll be a lesbian with you," she said affectionately.
"Okay," I agreed. We already had everything but the incest.

Send me an email at: atheistjourneysblog@gmail.com
And follow or tweet me here: https://twitter.com/atheistjourneys

No comments:

Post a Comment