Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Reason I'm A Feminist (Is Not What You Think)

"Feminism" is a nowadays a dirty word to a lot of people, as it is sometimes associated with victimhood, perceived slights and controlling what others can and cannot say. It often has a bad reputation, and with merit. But it can also be used as a force for good, as it has been in my life.
Feminism is not just about legal rights and linguistics, or about what society is doing wrong. I consider myself a feminist not because of the crimes I perceive to be committed against me, but because of what I aspire to be. Feminism is my inspiration to become a better person and a better woman--and feminism specifically says that as a woman, I can become a success, I can achieve my goals, and I can become more confident and comfortable in my own skin. Feminism makes such inspirational ideas accessible to women who would otherwise wonder how exactly these ideas would apply to them in our society.
Whenever I have to make an important decision or settle on a course of action, my first thought is, "What would a strong woman do? What would a confident woman do?" These questions are what give me the courage to do what is necessary. I also think of taking a stand as "summoning my inner feminist." Without feminism we would not have the idea of female empowerment, and my life would be very different.
Feminism can make the timid woman braver, the self-critical woman more accepting of herself, and the shy woman more outspoken. I am living proof of that. I would not have this blog if it were not for feminism. Different people are motivated by different ideas or concepts. I am motivated by the idea of being a strong, feminist woman. Feminism has given me something to aspire to, and a philosophy to live by.
I carry myself like a feminist role model, not necessarily with the intention to crush the patriarchy or shatter the glass ceiling. I define success and happiness on my own terms, with money and power being only one factor, and try to help people and animals whenever I can. That's what I believe should be synonymous with the word "feminism."
 I believe it is entirely appropriate to refer to oneself as a feminist when discussing women's issues, as when discussing animal rights one may refer to herself as an "animal rights activist," "animal lover," or "pro-animal rights." When discussing women's issues especially, I don't believe that this term is exclusionary at all, as using the term "animal rights activist" when discussing animal welfare would not preclude one from being for human rights.
There is no one word to encompass everything as far as human and animal rights are concerned. Even the word "humanist" implies a philosophy that is beyond human rights, and could even be construed as exclusionary to animals.
Most people in society would not advocate against women's rights, or for actually harming women (at least, not on purpose). But rather than making the concept of feminism unnecessary, I believe that this actually means that most people are feminist to a degree, though they may not choose to describe themselves as such or not wish to be associated with its negative aspects.
Of course if others choose not to use the title of "feminist," I do not blame them. The word will always have negative connotations for some, and others may be motivated by a different ideal.
As human beings, and, if we choose to describe ourselves as such, as feminists, it is our responsibility to try to communicate as clearly as possible; however there will still be some who accidentally or purposefully misunderstand our intentions. If, after trying to communicate that we are not against men, but pro-woman, and that such a term does not exclude also being pro-man, some still choose to twist our words, that is no longer our problem.
A movement should not be defined by outsiders. A few men, or women, who misunderstand our intentions does not take away what feminism is. Feminism is merely the empowerment of women and girls--or at least, it can be. It should be. I believe it can be saved, and that it is worth saving. That is why I think of myself as a feminist.

What do you think of this? Leave a comment below, or send me an email at: atheistjourneysblog@gmail.com
Follow or tweet me here: https://twitter.com/atheistjourneys

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!
    I may be wrong on the definition, but the "ideals" of feminism have been a very positive thing in my life. I wonder why they are not talked about more, by those who wish to promote feminism.
    Though "oppression" and sexism perhaps should be talked about, hearing about them constantly tends to actually depress me. It makes me feel helpless--which I think is the opposite of what they're going for here. And sometimes they do go a little too far with their standards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey everyone, Jesse Eng has a cool blog about linking fictional universes, Six Degrees of Fictionality:
    http://sixdoffictionality.blogspot.com/
    It's worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete